Monday 6 January 2014

Design Duel Evaluation

The aim of this module was to host and event to a group of level 3 students which will benefit both them and use as a host. It would benefit the students by encouraging them to use and develop their creative skills without really knowing it – it would be fun at the same time as educational. For us as a host we will develop on our presentation skills and build on confidence as there will be a lot of students that we are presenting to. Personally for me I was very nervous about presenting to so many people especially as they were younger than me but at that age where they can be hard work and not interested – as I know what I was like at that age. I was also nervous once I saw how big the room was thinking how I’ve got to stand there in front of all those people however we realised that there were not as many people as we first thought but there were still 130+ people in that room. I was pleased with the smooth running of the event – we only had a few issues which were quickly resolved, they weren’t anything to impact the running of the afternoon. I was glad that in the end we had a megaphone as this really made a difference, if we didn’t have anything to use then we wouldn’t have been able to speak over everyone – we struggled at times with the megaphone. Considering that we didn’t really have a run through I was pleased that it went as it did, I think a lot of us just took it as it came – we didn’t as such have a script of what to say and when so this made it better as I think that sometimes when having a script and trying to remember what to say can put you off. I liked how I had the others there too though in case there was something I missed or in case I slipped up on something, it was almost like a security net. Considering it was a group event and part of our grade with the Photography I was extremely disappointed that almost all of the photography group didn’t attend apart from 3 of them – this was a big let-down and as others didn’t attend it was hard to see if they had an input or not as I know some of them inputted in some way but it was not apparent who did what as they wasn’t there. This also became a problem when it came to organising the event – we held several meetings in the lead up to the event and the turn out on their side was poor to say the least, I was disappointed as they did not seem too bothered about it and it seemed that it was mainly a few of us leading the meetings. Maybe we could have took a backseat but then I don’t think it would have happened. Another thing that I think rattled the group was that a day before the event was to go ahead one of the members who said they would lead one of the tasks decided to pull out and tell us that they weren’t coming to the event – this was a little too late notice as we then had to find someone else short notice but we did sort it. I think that considering all of the problems we had in the planning stages we handled it well and managed to sort it all out calmly, even though it was a stress at times. Considering there were so many issues during planning it did not show during the event it came across well planned and executed. From feedback received from a tutor during the event it seemed that the majority of the students were enjoying themselves which gave a great sense of achievement that it was going well and was good to know that the students were actually having a good time and not there out of their own choice. Also in the break it was good that all hosts could chat and we talked about what was going well and what wasn’t, it gave us a chance to pick up on any issues we may have come across during the first half of the event and work out a way to correct them for the next time. Taking part in the event taught me that I can present to people and I have got the confidence so I do not need to get so wound up when I present especially when it is to such a small audience such as the class or tutor. It has taught me how to deal with situations such as planning as it does not always go to plan and sometimes I cannot help that – at times I get wound up when it doesn’t go to plan, it cannot always be right first time, we need to make mistakes in order to correct them. Overall it was a success and I learnt a lot from It, gaining valuable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment